Transfer files with a USB flash memory drive or external hard drive
USB flash memory drives — also known as memory keys and memory sticks — can copy a few files or an enormous amount of data, depending upon the capacity of the drive.
But in general, this technique is a good option when you have just a few files to transfer.
1. Insert the flash drive in an available USB slot on your computer.
2. Open a File Explorer window and find the entry for the flash drive in the pane on the left.
3. If you need to delete everything on the drive to make room for the new files, right-click the drive and choose “Format…,” then click “Start.” Alternately, you could just select and delete unwanted files from the flash drive.
4. Drag the files you want to copy onto the folder for the drive.
5. When you’re done, remove the flash drive and insert it in a USB slot on the other PC.
6. Open a File Explorer window and copy the files to the new PC by selecting and dragging them into another folder.
If you need to copy a very large number of files, you can use an external har